I’ve been getting a lot of calls this past week.
Many of you are clearly thinking about your career plans as you move into 2016.
Some of you have gained insights from completing the 2015 Year In Review workbook. Others of you are naturally thinking about what to do next once bonuses are paid out in the New Year.
I’ve been asked questions like:
- Should I accept my back-up job option?
- I think I made the wrong career move, what should I do?
- Do I really have what it takes to start a business?
At the heart of these questions I believe that each person knows what the right answer is for them.
BUT they’re not happy with their first gut-feel answer because it’s the hard option.
For example your gut may be telling you:
- Not to take the back-up job and stick it out for your dream career BUT that seems nuts and irresponsible when you’ve not been working (earning) for 3 months
- To cut your losses and say no to the new role because it isn’t what you expected even though you’ve sacrificed a lot to make this move
- That you’ll succeed in your new business even though you’re not quite sure where the confidence is coming from
Sometimes the answer you get doesn’t follow logic or practicality.
And that’s when things get scary.
The fear kicks in. Our inner critic starts kicking us to the curb and self-doubt quickly follows.
So what do you do?
Friends and family will be quick to give you (well-meaning) advice. But be discerning on whether you should take on board what they share.
Their advice is in accordance with their own rules, risk appetite and definition of success. That might not necessarily be what’s important or works best for you.
Second: Check in with your heart or gut
Ask yourself some questions:
- In an ideal world, if I could have anything that I wanted, what decision would I make here?
- Is this opportunity in alignment with or on the path to getting what it is that I desire?
My guess is that you’ll get an answer.
I wholeheartedly believe that there are many routes to success.
I believe that the only way that you will find “success” perse is to follow your heart and make decisions from who you really are as a person.
You are the best person to decide what’s important to you and what kind of life you want to live.
Once you are clear onthat resources, people, books will come to you when you’re following your path.
You’ll then be able to use your head to figure out the appropriate action steps to help you move forward in the right direction for you.
By following this approach you’ll ultimately be on your journey to building a career and life that you’re proud of.
That in my mind is success.
What’s the point in pursuing a career or business that you don’t love even though it looks good on paper but you are the one dealing with the tension, anxiety and fear everyday?
Now I’d love to hear from you:
- Is there a big decision that you are thinking about making?
- What’s your decision making process?
Bonus question: If you are scared about ruling with your heart, what’s scary about it? What’s the worse thing that would happen to you?
Leave a comment below.
Wishing you a courageous and fun week.
P.S. If you are ready to start reviewing your year and making some decisions about 2016 then make sure you download your 2015 Year in Review HERE. You’ll want to get this done before the 2016 Bright Start Planning Guide comes out next week!